Pages

Friday 7 June 2019

Second book

I'm finding it difficult starting the second book in the Proxy saga. I know what needs to be achieved by the end of it, I know the ultimate goal of the book but the meat and bones of it is what is daunting me. I have this problem where if I read a book while writing, I start writing in that writer's style, thinking of their plots and events and wanting to put them in my work. So I have to go for a certain period of time before and during writing where I don't read anything else. Add to that the fact that it's been two years since I wrote the first book and I've basically forgotten ALL the characters and events, things that you need to know and be aware of when writing a sequel.
Apart from those two things, I'm right in the middle of promoting my first book, trying to do interviews and get reviews and posting ads. I'm also dealing with a daughter who suffers from Chronic Mid Range Facial Pain and Social Anxiety. She's 17 and almost crippled by these things that have impeded on her life, stopping her from being a typical teenager, stopping her from going to school and from having a life. It causes me so much to watch her struggle and know there's nothing I can do other than emotionally support her and encourage her to move forward. I'm having to teach her to live her life dealing with daily pain, to try and ignore it because there's nothing we can do to get it go away and give her a break.
So in the midst of all this, i'm supposed to be creative?
I'm finding it difficult.
It's not writer's block, it's something else; an inability to move, to create, to pull something out of my head when my head feels empty. It's also a reticence to go back to writing, to be absorbed in the "creative process" where I end up ignoring everyone in the house; it causes problems.
So...how do I start the second book???
Might have to get back to you on that one once I figure it out.

No comments: