Pages

Sunday 14 July 2019

Being an author, being myself

I'm sure i'm not the only one who gets a little thrill every time someone buys their book. It's not about money, it's about spreading my ideas to others in the world. It's hopefully entertaining someone or making them cry or laugh with just words.
Just one stranger buying your book can be satisfying enough.
As a writer, you have to come to terms with the fact you'll never be famous or rich. If you go into it just for the fame and fortune, you'll be disappointed forever. Be satisfied with someone reading your work and liking it, enjoying it, wanting more.
And therein lies my problem; I'm still struggling with starting the second book. My son is one of my biggest supporters; he's screaming at me every day to start the sequel because I refuse to tell him what's in my head. But I think i've finally figured out why i'm reticent to start the next one - I want the first to be successful so that I can feel like I'm achieving something, that there's a reason to write more.
But what will be enough for me to write more? Thousands of books sold? Thousands of reviews? Honestly, that would take years if it would happen at all. I have to be realistic. So what would a realistic amount be that would mean success to me? Maybe steady sales? Like at least one a day?
I'm sitting here eating a raspberry muffin, delving into the why's and wherefore's of myself. What do I really want?
If I'm going to be honest with myself, of course I want to be successful, an author. To be lauded for my literary works would be heaven but not realistic in my genre of scifi. But to be seen as a good writer, entertaining, etc, would be good. That's my ultimate want.
My short term want? To be read.
It's that simple; to be read.
So, in order to start writing the second book, to me, I must be seen to be being read. In other words, from my own perspective and to my standards, I need to be read by other people. To clarify what my standards are, I think a few more sales and I'll feel satisfied enough.
There, I've cleared that up in my own head; sell a few more books and I'll start the second because then there will be reason to.
Ahh, writing, always so damn useful. I always helps me figure things out when I see the words written down on paper or a screen. To read back and see where I was confused and why.
I love words.

No comments: